Re: rvplayer segfault

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Max Kamenetsky wrote:

> This is truly bizarre, but I can't get rvplayer to work on my system.  I'm
> using kernel 2.2.3 with glibc2.1.1 and rvplayer segfaults every time I try
> to start it.  I'm attaching the full strace in the hope that someone knows
> what's going on.  It seems to barf as soon as it opens locale.alias, but
> there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that file as far as I can
> tell.  I'd be grateful for any suggestions.  Oh yeah, I'm using rvplayer
> 5.0-9 with a potato system.

Hmmm... I'd point the finger at realplayer's interaction with glibc2 --
i'm running potato with 2.2.3 same version of realplayer and no problems.
it's quite likely that realplayer uses unpublished bits of glibc2 that
have been eliminated from glibc2.1, tripping up realplayer.  however, i'm
guessing.  unfortunately I'm not sure if there's a way of downgrading to
2.0.7.  i'd be careful.

-thomas, who's not upgrading to glibc2.1 for at least 2 months.

please forgive my abrupt ending hre - but my conection is
xtrememleyyhiclmelyey      BAD hiccuppy etc must sign off -
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 umbra (!)