Re: I've been cracked! (hamm, 2.0.35)

Probably a good idea long-term to subscribe to BUGTRAQ, or at least,
debian-security-announce.  usually you'll have some leeway between
discovery of an exploit and potentially being attacked with it, but if
you're wide open for weeks it's definitely asking for trouble.

it's also worth shutting down as much on the machine as possible -- only
run minimal services necessary, and be aware of what net-facing services
you're running when following security news.

-thomas

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Don Erickson wrote:

> Thanks to all for the good advice, I'm using this as an excellent excuse
> to upgrade my creaky 486 and start over with a whole new system and a
> whole new machine.

please forgive my abrupt ending hre - but my conection is
xtrememleyyhiclmelyey      BAD hiccuppy etc must sign off -
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 umbra (!)