Awk scripts & Debian awk version

  I have some small scripts that keep a log file of notes.  The
searchlog feature uses awk.  Now that I have decided to move my
operating from the Slackware box that the scripts work in to debian,
the scripts no longer work.

  Doing some research I found that the boxes have different versions
of awk/mawk.

  The slackware system:  awk -W version  GNU Awk 3.0.3
and debiam Slink         awk -W version  mawk 1.3.3 Nov 1996.

Questions.
  Rather than load up the newer awk from the tarball at the
GNU site, are there, or will there be, an updated awk in the base
package of potato?

  Would moving to the GNU awk affect any debian specific items?
Namely deselect, apt-get, dpkg?

  Should I just bite the bullet, bone up on awk, and fix the damm
scripts?  Yes I know, I _should_ know awk.

  Which is the newer/better/most compatiable Awk?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

--
Unquestionably, there is progress.  The average American now pays out
twice as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages.