Re: I can't beleive this

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Ray wrote:

> But these sources arn't very good.  I still have a Consumer Reports that
> says "A PC is a Windows Machine".   Most of his friends probably get their
> info. from PC mag. etc. so you are just talking about the blind leading the
> blind.  The ONLY way to get a PC that anyone can use is to make sure the
> vendor has a vested interest in keeping you happy.  That might mean a lease
> or maybe a monthly service contract.  The remote access facilities of Linux
> make this potentially much less expensive.

Look, people, I could make a Linux distribution JUST as easy as Windows to
install if I build it like the Windows installation ... it goes on the
first bootable partition, PERIOD, it does not allow multi-boot of other
operating systems, AT ALL, I install the base OS in a set configuration
(no partitioning, etc by the user during install) with a specific set of
applications that the user has no control over.  It will install quite
nicely and the longest part is the reformat of the hard drive to remove
that "alien" filesystem that it found living there.

The problem comes in when you want to give control over the installation.
The more control you give the more difficult it becomes because you HAVE
to assume that the person with the control knows what to do with it.

Comparing the two operating system's installation procedure is apples and
oranges. The closest you can come with a commercial OS is POSSIBLY OS/2
... and you know what .... people complained that OS/2 was too difficult
to install.