Re: network help

"G. Kapetanios" wrote:

> Following your suggestion I pinged my gateway by IP rsther than name.
> The thing hang after printing a line. So maybe what you say about the card
> not working correctly is right.
>
> I was wondering: Win98 has no problem with recognizing and using
> the card. Why should Linux ?
> As this is not my computer tha card is there to stay.
> Additonally I would like to use the box as a server for math application
> to be accessed through telnet only .
> So I need to be sure that the card is the problem and if so remove Deibian
> Do you know any methods that can tell me fpor certain that the card is to
> blame ?

Well, the gateway might not allow ping packets. You can try to
'traceroute -n' it and see if that works.

Also you have not said anything about what is in you /etc/resolve.conf
file.

If the card works in WinBlows, then I see no reason why it would not
work in Debian. Are you sure that the kernel is detecting the IO Port
and IRQ correctly for the network card?

--
Paul Miller
pmiller@jove.acs.unt.edu