cdu33a

hello,
I am not on this mailing list.  I am trying to install debian linux 2.0 for
the first time to see if this would work better than dos.  My problem is
this....
I have a soundblaster 16 card along with a sony cd (cdu33a) with a Creative
Labs front.  I need to know how to get Linux to read it.  In my Dos system,
the address for sb16 was 220 and the cd-rom was 230. (pretty sure)  I know
that the driver cdu31a is on the kernel.  I have also searched the archives
without success.  I have tried loading linux with "cdu31a=0x230,0" and
varied irq's and I/O's.
(My modem is working but it is tooo slow (14.4) to download much, plus I
have to pay for more than 25 hours online.)  I have the debian cd which is
why I need the cdrom working asap.
Do I need to recognize the sound card first?
Also, it says that wd-7000 scsi card has failed.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Keith