Re: I can't beleive this

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 08:51:05AM +0800, ivan wrote:

> In a computer context most people want to turn the thing on, plug in a CD
> and voila - there's an operating system - configured and operating.

These kinds of people really want the system pre-installed and certainly
shouldn't be doing upgrades etc.  These folks should probably be leasing
their computer (preferably something along the lines of an Imac.).

> Regardless of the endless denigration of the quality of Windows and MS
> behomoth, no-one can deny that this above all else has made the computer
> usable for far more people than would otherwise be the case.

Long before Windows, secretaries everywhere were using Lotus 123, Wordstar,
Word Perfect etc.  They wern't geeks, just regular people.  Geos and the Mac
were both easier than Windows 3.X so I don't think we would be any worse off
today if MS hadn't taken over the market.
what

> Referring to the numerous discussions on popularising Linux in general and
> Debian in particular I think we should give a lot more respect to the
> "point & click mouse jockeys".  They outnumber the geeks & nerds of this
> world at a guess by 10 to 1.

These "point & click jockeys" are the folks that make it more profitable to
sell crap than quality products.

> We all, I feel, need to bear in mind that Joe Average really does want to
> sit down, turn on and work right from day 1. <Ivan dons asbestos suit>
> Windows in every experience I've had from 3.0 or earlier offers this.

Problem is that some of us like our systems to keep working after day 1.