Re: Statistics/graphing programs for scientists?

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Jameson Burt wrote:

A long explanation of the advantages (& problems) with R.

> I agree the best statistical package is R, but it is best in the same
> way Debian is the best Linux.
> R demands some time before you get much a lot from it.
> It has been called the Maseratti while SAS has been called the Ford.
> R includes a full programming language.
> While I use the graphics of R, I am uncertain of how well it makes them
> for paper copies.
> You learn to use R use either a 60 page document on R,
> or a book like "Modern Applied Statistics with S-PLUS".

Also read the R FAQ
http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~hornik/R/R-FAQ.html

There is an active mailing list R-help which discusses use of the package.
I archive this list at
http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/robertk/R/

----
Robert King, Australian Environmental Studies, Griffith University, Australia
3875 6677   Robert.King@mailbox.gu.edu.au   http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/robertk/

This signature project was my last, best hope to seem eloquent.  It failed.
But in the year of Decency In Communications Act, it became something
greater.  My last, best hope for satire.  The year is 1996. The Place:
Babbling On Pine.
              -- "Kyle N. Foster" <kfoster@argon.GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU>