Re: Installing X to Debian for a Newbie

You don't actually have an a.out system do you?  Which version of Debian
are you running?  It's bound to be an elf system since you call yourself a
newbie and a.out went obsolete years ago.  So, anyway, you ought to be
installing .deb packages from a debian mirror rather than source code from
x.org.  There's a whole directory of X-related packages called 'x11'.
You'll definitely want xbase.  If you are installing from a CD, X is
probably on it.  How did you install Debian?  Have you used .deb packages?