Booting linux with a file as root??

Hi,

I'm new to this list, and to debian/linux in genereal. I installed debian
from a CD and am having a great time, mainly due to the amount of great
documentation available from the cd and on-line.

Anyway what I wanted to know was if there was anyway to boot a kernel (using
loadlin.exe) and make it use a file as a root filesystem. I know I can
format and mount a file in linux but I want to know how I get the kernel to
do it at boot. The reason I ask is that I already have debian on the
harddrive of my old machine but want to be able to run it on my new machine
without changing anything. I configured my new machine to dual boot DOS and
NT, but I can start BeOS using loadlin.exe from DOS. I know I can boot the
linux kernel like this but how do I make it use a file on the DOS filesystem
for the root filesystem. If this is impossiable please let me know. Any info
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :-)

Andy Holmes

andyholmes@btinternet.com

Protect privacy, boycott Intel: http://www.bigbrotherinside.org

"The path of my life is strewn with cow pats from the devil's own satanic
herd!", Edmund Blackadder