Re: help me to undertand GMT time!!!!

On 11 Mar 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

[snip]

> > Although it might seen as a logical conclusion to say that 12:00 pm is noon,
> > the argument doesn't hold, because `pm' has a precise definition.  It means
> > "when any given star has _crossed_ the meridian"
>
> Which it will have by the time you are able to write either the AM or
> the PM.  Speaking of one precise instant in time is pointless; it is
> gone in an infinately small amount of time.  Trying to confuse the
> issue, and everyone, by doing this is silly.  Nitpicking like that is
> unnecessary, and you are not correctly stating either my statement or
> the one to which I was replying.

Agreed... where do these threads come from? lack of linux related
problems to stimulate your minds... Sorry, I just read the whole thread
with amusement. Anyway, put it this way:

Midnight                      Noon                      Midnight
12:00    12:01AM - 11:59AM   12:00   12:01PM - 11:59PM   12:00

And if there is any problem with that, speak now or ...

(the above is not my understanding, (although it is now) I deduced it from
the thread.)

The whole AM/PM issue to me is not related to the current time, i.e.
12:01PM does not mean 12 hours and 1 minute after noon to me, it means
that it is 12:01 in the second half of the day.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

     "42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!"