Statistics/graphing programs for scientists?

Hello all,

I'm just about to get my doctorate in neuroscience,
and I have have several large databases essential for my dissertation.
For statistical analysis, I use Statistica for windows, and for graphing
my data, I use SigmaPlot for windows. A call to all scientists out there
- are there any native X-based programs that are as good as these?
Although these programs are excellent, I would rather not trust my
dissertation to the OS I have come to call Sir Crash-a-lot... My only
other option is to use a windows emulator (like WINE)...

Thanks in advance,

Rich