diff.gz file size

Hello,

I am facing some problem with regard to gzip. I dowmloaded the
icewm-0.9.33 files from debian archive. Netscape, unzipped the diff.gz
file while downloading. To get on with the compilation, I just gzipped
the diff file. But, the size in the dsc file and the actual size vary.
So I thought the problem might be the level of compression that gzip
is using and so set it to highest. Still I could not get the file size
that is on the archive. The exact figures are:

   icewm_0.9.33-1.diff.gz     6475  (actual)
   icewm_0.9.33-1.diff.gz     6480  (got with gzip --best ice...)

How do I achieve a higher compression? Or is the gzip version I am
using (from stock hamm) older?

Thanks for any help,

sridhar

Sridhar M. A