Re: I can't beleive this

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Allan M. Wind wrote:

> Most UNIX programs don't have interactive or context sensitive help,
> which IMHO is a good thing - unless it takes 10s to appear.  I think
> it's kinda primitive that one has to have...

> 	grep -i sb /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/|xargs less
>
> 	in order to figure out how I get my sound blaster to make
> 	noise.
>
> I don't think your average user will like this any time soon - and
> that's why they are still using Windows.

Well yes, but poking around in RegEdit to persuade Windows that you
really want to see Wordpad pop up to view some obscure file format
rather than Notepad is also a royal pain.  People put up with Windows
because it *almost* does what they want rather than because they
actually love each and every aspect of the operating system, is my
impression.  It seems to take a lot of knowledge and time spent
tweaking and many many optional software purchases to make it truly
"intuitive" to a user-- and once you've patted yourself on the back
for becoming a Windows 3.1 "power user" Microsoft comes along and
drops Win95 on you, and then Win98, and and Win NT and promises Win
2000...  Is this really Ease Of Use?

   ms44278@huey.csun.edu
   Mike Shupp
   California State University, Northridge