Re: network help

"G. Kapetanios" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up thi computer at work with Debian. All works
> fine apart from the network. This is a novell environment. I have set
> up one computer in a novell environment before and it was fine.
> however here I have problems. The newtwork card is working OK as
> far as  I can tell. On boot the kernel finds it and although some
> mention of the eth1 interface is made at that stage, ifconfig states
> that eth0 is used. I can ping myself either using localhost or the IP

Can you give us the output of dmesg dealing with your network card?

> address or the name of the machine. Ifconfig reports that lo and
> eth0 is up. But any attempt to ftp ping telnet  anything outside of
> the machine does not work. route reports the localnet and
> 127.0.0.0 and then hangs. No gateway seems to be available as *
> is in place of the gateway. However I am using the same number
> as the other Win98 computers report in the TCP/IP installed
> gateways in network in control panel. I have not seen this problem
> before and I am at a loss for solving. Any help will be appreciated.

What would help here would be the output of ifconfig and 'route -n'. The
-n tells route not to do DNS lookup for host names, but print IP
addresses. What is your gateway's IP, and what is your netmask?

> Thanks
> George

> George Kapetanios
> Churchill College
> Cambridge, CB3 0DS    E-Mail: GK205@cus.cam.ac.uk
> U.K.                  WWW: http://garfield.chu.cam.ac.uk/~gk205/work_info.html

Paul Miller
pmiller@jove.acs.unt.edu
begin:vcard
n:Miller;Paul
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Talons
version:2.1
email;internet:pmiller@jove.acs.unt.edu
title:President
note:The Spirit of the University of North Texas
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Paul Miller
end:vcard