Re: Apt, Dselect, and Dpkg. What's the different?

Tam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am new at Debian and I am kind confused about the Apt, Dselect, and Dpkg
> programs. Slink was released earlier today and it has:
>         Apt (part 1), the new backend to dselect
>         Apt (part 2), the new commandline
> I know Apt will soon have a front end (Apt 3 for "Potato") that will
> replace Dselect but for now does Apt (part 1), the new backend, replaces
> Dpkg program because Dpkg is also a backend to deselect?
>
> I am really confused about the relation of Apt, Dselect, and Dpkg. If
> anyone has the time, please write back and tell what is the defferences
> and relationship between these programs. If this question was asked
> before, please tell me the date of it and I will look for it.

	Dpkg is the engine that both Apt and Dselect use.  Apt is
currently command-line only and can be used stand-alone or as a
access method in Dselect.  The reason for Apt to be used as a
access method in Dselect is because its so much smarter than
Dselect about what order to install packages, thus a way has been
provided for Dselect users to use Apt as Dselect's back-end and
have Apt actually make the calls to Dpkg.

--
Ed C.