Re: Ethernet connection to Windows98

Christian,

You'll want to read up on Samba as it will allow you to connect a Linux machine to a Win98 machine.  You should probably enable TCP/IP (if it isn't already) and assign an IP address to both of your PCs.  I use the same type of Ethernet card and I'm able to browse the "Network Neighborhood" on my Win machine and see my Linux shared directories.  Start with Samba docs, though, and good luck!

Regards,

Jeff

>>> Christian Dysthe <cdysthe@bigfoot.com> 3/10/99 12:27:21 PM >>>
Hello Debian-mentors,

  I do not expect to get recipe here regarding Debian and networking.
  I just need to know where to start reading, and maybe where to look
  for information regarding this.

  I have a NE2000 compatible Ethernet card installed and detected by
  my kernel. What I want to do is to connect to a Windows98 machine
  using this card.

  Where do I start? For instance: Regarding the kernel, is the fact
  that the card is detected enough, or should I have added support for
  some protocols in the kernel, or can I add the protocols later?

  TIA

//Christian

cdysthe@bigfoot.com
http://www.bigfoot.com/~cdysthe

"If everything is coming your way, you are probably
in the wrong lane"