XDM headaches

Hello Debian-users,

  I am a Debian/Linux newbie. However, I do have hamm running well on
  my computer now. I use Xfree 3.3.3 to make my Matrox card work and
  XFCE/ with XFWM as windows manager.

  I was using startx to log in to accounts, but now I want to use
  XDM. I changed to runlevel 5 and added a "1" in the xdm file there to
  make XDM start my login routine. Is this the way to activate XDM?

  I have two problems:

  1. I do not seem to have a path set in my root account. Where am I to
  give the path when using XDM, and how do I set different paths for
  root and other accounts?

  2. I have xscreensaver set to run in my xsession files (infact, I
  just copied what I had in my xinitrc files into my xsession files).
  When I log in as root I get this error message regarding
  xscreensaver:

  .xsession-errors
  OddBird:~# xscreensaver
  Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
  Error: Can't open display: :0.0
  OddBird:~#

  This does not happen when I log in to a user account. Why is this?

  To be honest, I do find the whole concept of XDM to be hard to grasp
  even after having read the documentation I have been able to find.

  TIA

//Christian

cdysthe@bigfoot.com
http://www.bigfoot.com/~cdysthe

"If everything is coming your way, you are probably
in the wrong lane"