Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

>	Your thinking of the personal user, which isn't Linux's
>strongsuit right now.  Corporate customers are looking at the
>Calderas and RedHatters of the Linux distributions.  Without
>commercial support, they won't even bother to *look* at Debian.
>Without the attention of the corporate world, Debian won't get
>enough advertising, or word of mouth, to become a player in the
>end user market (whenever it develops).
>

>--
>Ed C.

I don't think that is such a bad thing for debian to remain
non-commercial. What happens when RH or caldera becomes 50.0001% owned
by a company like Sun, HP or Novell? Do these companies act any
different than M$? Would such a redhat CEO consider the ideas of the
Linux Developers as important as the marketing strategies of his new
parent company? Will RH Linux become secondary to the success of a
proprietary version of unix? Maybe. Hopefully Debian won't.