Gnome install using apt - error logging in

I'm trying to install Gnome using the instructions at
http://www.gnome.org/start/getting_debian.shtml

They say to add a line to /etc/apt/sources.list (which I've done); it now
looks like:

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/debian dists/released/

but when I do an "apt-get update" the update does fine with the debian
site, but it gives me an error on the gnome sight. The error is:

Error: ftp://ftp.gnome.org dists/released/ Packages
process_uri_pair: couldn't log in

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks!