Re: rc.local -> What is the Debian Eqivalent

*- On  9 Mar, Pollywog wrote about "Re: rc.local -> What is the Debian Eqivalent"

> On 09-Mar-99 servis@purdue.edu wrote:
>> *- On  9 Mar, Person, Roderick wrote about "rc.local -> What is the Debian
>> Eqivalent"
>>> I have installed some tars and I need to set some thing to run at boot. For
>>> example I need to have the followiung to line execute at boot.
>>>                                     /usr/X11R6/bin/xfstt --sync
>>>                              /usr/X11R6/bin/xfstt&
>>>

>> Why don't you install the xfstt Debian package from slink?  It will
>> take care of all the necessary steps for you, including a startup
>> script in /etc/init.d linked from the appropriate rc*.d directories.
>> The xfstt in hamm is broken and should not be used.
>
> Are you saying that when I upgrade to slink, I will have a tool to assist in
> writing startup scripts?  I am waiting for CheapBytes to get the CD but they
> told me that as soon as they download an image, it is changed.

No.  I am saying the the slink xfstt package has a startup script as
part of its package and installs it in the appropriate place.  If you
want to start something at boot write the script(use on of the existing
ones as an example) and the put it in /etc/init.d.  Then use the
program update-rc.d to make the appropriate links.  Read the man page
for update-rc.d.

--
Brian
							   - unknown