network down, HELP

Hi,

I am trying to set up thi computer at work with Debian. All works
fine apart from the network. This is a novell environment. I have set
up one computer in a novell environment before and it was fine.
however here I have problems. The newtwork card is working OK as
far as  I can tell. On boot the kernel finds it and although some
mention of the eth1 interface is made at that stage, ifconfig states
that eth0 is used. I can ping myself either using localhost or the IP
address or the name of the machine. Ifconfig reports that lo and
eth0 is up. But any attempt to ftp ping telnet  anything outside of
the machine does not work. route reports the localnet and
127.0.0.0 and then hangs. No gateway seems to be available as *
is in place of the gateway. However I am using the same number
as the other Win98 computers report in the TCP/IP installed
gateways in network in control panel. I have not seen this problem
before and I am at a loss for solving. Any help will be appreciated.
Can you also reply personally as the account which receives the
list is down at the moment ?

Thanks
George