Re: RE: Can Windows95 cause error on my Linux Drive - Other Co-existi ng OS Problems...

Quoting Person, Roderick (personrp@ccbh.com):
> This maybe true, but I have noticed that once I mount a DOS floppy in Debian
> after two or three times It is unreadable by Windows. It seems to me that
> Linux is Hell on floppies. Even my Debian only floppies seem to have a
> extremely short life. I thought my Floppy was dying then i changed it and
> still the same problems.

That's not my experience. I use two floppies daily to keep my machines
at home and at work in sync. They're used several times every weekday,
and even at weekends as backup. These two have been going several months,
so the bottom right corners of the labels are almost transparent from
grease. One's a maxell, the other a noname, but quite likely an old AOL
solicitation at my work address.

That's fairly typical. As soon as one gives a read error, I replace it
with another from a very slowly decreasing stack of floppies. I've
never noticed one brand being any better/worse than another, and even
good makes like maxell have occasionally failed even to format. BTW
they're all dos format, and almost invariably carry only .zip files
to preserve the name/attributes of the files.

Cheers,