Re: failing print jobs

E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a print setup with lpr from the lpr package, and simple print
> filters using gs.  If for some reason gs fails, lpr keeps retrying to
> print the file anyway, and the result is a loop that doesn't end until
> the print job is removed with lprm.  Is there anything that can be done
> about this?  Usually retries make no sense, since the problem is that
> gs cannot deal with a particular file, and it stays this
> way, no matter how many tries are made.

Did you run magicfilterconfig first? If so, I don't know if this will
help, but I had problems with printing too. I would get partial
printouts, and some docs wouldn't even print at all. I switched gs with
gs-aladdin and that fixed my problem. If you're trying to stick with a
'free' system, then I believe that gs-aladdin is in the non-free
section.

HTH

Mark