RE: Laptop install Help Needed

On 08-Mar-99 Chris Brown wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie to Linux and want to install debian on my laptop as my
> primary (only) machine, its a compaq armada 1535 w/ 3com 3c575
> pcmcia ethernet.

there is now a debian-laptop list.  You can ask laptop specific questions there.

> 1. I'm not using the "tecra" version disks, but have not had any
> lockups with the standard ones I'm using. Which is the right choice?

If you needed a tecra disk, you would have used it (-:

> 2. I can't get the machine to talk on the network. How do I do this?
>
> I know there are a hundred right answers to this question, I'm
> looking for the easiest/quickest ways.... How do I get 3c575
> support? I'm not sure I'm up to compiling a kernel yet. Should I
> consider other pcmcia cards that I have access to like NE200 or
> 3c589, or is pcmcia problematic and should I look for a pocket
> adatper or something else?

Grab the latest pcmcia-cs package from unstable.  The one in hamm lacks support
for many 100mbit based cards.  Unfortunately, if the kernel version of the
package does not match your kernel, a recompile is needed.  This is VERY easy.
Just install the kernel-package and read the docs.

> 3. Once I get the network working should I use NFS or FTP to access
> the packages? (are there important pro's and con's of each?)

Either on a local network.  Just depends on which one works fastest and easiest
for you.  Over ppp at home I would definately suggest ftp.