Kernel 2.2.x and updates

Hi
I am new in the list and Debian too.

I need some help.!
1. I want to update to slink without having to download everything from
scratch... Which packages shall i upgrade. Which ones are required and which
are optionals?
2.When i try to login and i fail, the new login info is screwd up and i get
Debian GNU/\s 2.0 \n \l instead of Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 maxima ttyx
Why this happens?
3. I am using 2.2.2 kernel though i have the hamm dist! I hadn't any problems
so far.... I am lucky or something is broken and i just can't know?
4. I am using PPP to connect to my ISP but i get lower transfers from those i
got when i was using MS windows. Any ideas about that?

Sorry about my bad english and thanks for reading.....