Re: Color Depth [was: X & Font Problem]

*- On  6 Mar, Brian Clark wrote about "Color Depth [was: X & Font Problem]"

> As for the subject line in this email, I'm having a but of a problem with
> severe dithering.
>
> I'm running a pretty typical (I think) video card / display.
>
> My video card is a Matrox Millennium 2MB PCI, and my display is an older
> Gateway 2000 Vivitron 17"

Why don't you post the "Device" and "Screen" sections from your
XF86Config for your card and driver.  My guess is that you are running
out of colors.  What bpp are you running in?  If I remember correctly
Window Maker is a color hog so if you are running in 8bpp then you are
probably running out of colors.  Make sure your server line in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xserver has a '-bpp 16' option on it.  Mine is like this

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt10 -bpp 16

--
Brian
							   - unknown