Re: Kernel upgrade questions

Christian Dysthe wrote:

> Hello Debian-user,
>
> 1.  I have the stable Debian distr. set up running (kernel 2.0.34). Can get the latest
>   kernel, compile it and install it on my system, or do I have to
>   upgrade other parts of my system as well?

You will need to upgrade to Slink (Debian 2.1) for the new 2.2.x kernel.
Many of the packages in Hamm are too old. Take a look in
linux/Documentation/Changes for the required package versions.

> 2.  I have compiled sound card support for my Soundblaster card as a
>   module on my running kernel. Do I have to patch the 2.2.x source with the
>   awe driver before compiling it as I had to with the 2.0.34 kernel?

You do not need to patch the new kernel for SoundBlaster AWE support.
The 2.2.x kernel uses the OSS drivers which come with it. Take a look in
linux/Documentation/sound/AWE32 for more info on setting up the new
driver.

Hope this helps.

--
Paul Miller