Re: Problem with PPP connection

It sounds like you might possibly have a win modem which won't work with Linux.  I had
one of those myself (LT Win Modem).  You can check out the modem HOWTO for more info,

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html

There is also a link there to a list of compatible and not so compatible modems,

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Hope that helped,
Kent