Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

Ed Cogburn wrote:

> Frankie wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> > >         You are perhaps referring the "Linux Standard Base" that RH and
> > > Deb have, for the moment, agreed to?  The problem is that the
> > > greater RH's dominance becomes, the greater the chance that they
> > > will no longer see this kind of cooperation as desirable, and in
> > > effect decide on their own that RH *is* the "Linux Standard
> > > Base".  If they don't try too hard too quickly, then I fear they
> > > just might get away with it.
> >
> > This is exactly what I meant in my original post, when I asked if redhat
> > were the next MS.
> >
> > The thing that worried me most about the poll I saw, was that there was
> > only one major distro, and such a huge gap between the others:
> >
> > If all of the distros are growing at a rate of, say, 30%, then where
> > does that leave us in 1 years time?
> > the bigger get bigger and the smaller get smaller, relatively.
> > That is, debian has to grow at 130% just to stay in the same league as
> > redhat.
> >
> > This is, perhaps, an inherent flaw of capitalism, although lets not go
> > into that.
> >
> > With MS, once they were the biggest, (corporation/market share/whatever)
> > it became very hard for them to be knocked. They always had the
> > upperhand against any of their competitors. (Plus they may (pending
> > result of US suit against MS) have been prepared to play dirty)
> >
> > Thus Redhat, being 3 times as large as debian will be able to push
> > debian aside if it desires, or to impose conditions on debian if it
> > decides to do so.
> >
> > At the moment that seems impossible, and I think it is, but as linux
> > stops being a geeky sideline OS (as is happening at the moment), but
> > becomes a serious player, both in the server and desktop markets, then
> > linux will be mainstream, and then there will be no more friendly
> > cooperation between the distros.
> >
> > This is why debian needs to expand its user base, apart from anything
> > else.
>
>         We're in agreement, although I'm more pessimistic about Linux's
> chances in the desktop market.
>
>         The problem is how can Debian grow its user base any faster?
> Debian is not a commercial company that defines its success by its
> market share.  Even if Debian had the money to spend on
> advertising, I'm willing to bet there will be a significant number
> of developers who would consider paying for advertising as a waste
> of money.

Quite possibly - if everyone who has a website were to stick a debian
logo on it, it would increase visibility and knowledge of debian. This
would cost nothing. I know I've said it before, but if I say it again it
will do no harm.

Slashdot has a redhat logo, for example, and linus t and alan c are
known to use redhat - I think I read that rms uses debian (or has
recently installed it or sthg). Couldn't this info be disseminated to a
wider audience?

	"The bloke that wrote (or whatever) the majority of the programs you
use uses debian?"

>         Like George Bonser has said previously, I think the only way that
> Debian is going to grow its market share better than its currently
> growing is for the creation of a commercial company which adopts
> Debian as its base distribution.  This company can provide
> corporate support to enhance Debian's position in the corporate
> world, and improve the install and maintenance of the system, by
> adding new software which isn't a priority for current Debian
> developers.

That may be true, but debian has become deputy leading distro with NO
paid advertising, and no commercial backing, So it must have reasonable
marketing anyway. This is my list of ways to improve the position of
debian for free: (the more times I repeat it on debian user, the more it
will sink in hopefully :-)

	) Obviously recommending debian to colleagues/associates/friends
	) sticking a debian logo on your website
	) pestering major sites to display a debian logo
	) Making sure that articles are written for stuff like
slashdot/32bitsonline etc that mention debian.
	)

>         When potential customers discover Debian is purely a volunteer
> effort, they will assume that Debian is some kind of slap-dash,
> low quality product.  Most of these companies will want a
> distribution that has corporate support available for it.
> Unfortunately, I don't see any improvement of the situation,
> unless such a commercial company actually gets established.

Valid point - couldn't the volunteer nature be made into a positive
thing? Like that the people who work on debian are every bit as
qualified, but WANT TO.

(that hopefully implies dedication/committedness/quality or whatever)

frankie

> --
> Ed C.
>
> --

Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat is
good
for dandruff.

	--Peter de Vries

http://www.skunkpussy.freeserve.co.uk - Drum'n'Bass music, samples and