seriously hosed slink system

I'm running slink and having some major problems.  I just booted from the
rescue floppy to change my ip address, and when I rebooted from the hard
drive, the sytem hung on:
"Starting system log daemon: syslogd"
It hangs there about 4 minutes, then I get several errors:
"Starting deferred execution scheduler: atdstart-stop-daemon: stat
/usr/sbin/atd:  No such file or directory"
"While opening UTMP file: No such file or directory" (I get about 15 of
these messages)

Then I get the login prompt.  After logging in, I get some more "whil
opening UTMP file" errors.
AND
"bash: /usr/bin/check-sendfile: No such file or directory"
"bash: mesg: command not found"

I can't execute any programs after that (emacs, startx, anything!)

Any suggestions here?  Could I possible have run into a bad hard drive or
something?

Brian morgan
bmorgan@greenville.edu