Re: Debian/RedHat at our university

Yes your uni can make cd's and sell them at will for whatever price they
want.  Make sure to make source available upon request.

Debian is a preferred distribution because upgrading multiple systems is
quite easy with the apt-get utility.  Licensing issues are not an issue in
debian because everything has a license in the form of GPL (or similar).
This allows free alterations and distribution.

Especially for educational purposes debian is better than RH because it's
filesystem structure conforms to the traditional unices.  Therefore, use
of debian gives users transferable skills in other unix environments.

Moreover, the cooperative use of irc and mailing lists where users (novice
and expert) help one another solve computer problems is in itself an
educational experience.

Redhat will offer commercial support, but for universities and students
this is not needed.  You seem to indicate this project is aimed at users.
I recommend debian hands down.

NatePuri
Certified Law Student
& Debian GNU/Linux Monk