Re: fig2dev (fig -> gif)

On Thursday 04 March, Richard Lyon wrote:

> > I'm trying to use fig2dev to convert fig format images into gifs, but I
> > keep getting empty gif files.
>
> Your right! It's actually the transfig package as a whole which appears to
> have no support for the generation of gif.

that's bizarre. it specifically says in the fig2dev man page that it
can output to gif, or atleast, that it's a valid option. I quote;

   -L     Set the output graphics language.  Valid  languages are  acad
          (AutoCad slide format), box, epic, eepic, eepicemu, gif, ibmgl,
	  jpeg, latex,  mf (METAFONT), pcx,  pic,  pictex,  png,  ppm, ps,
	  pstex, pstex_t, textyl, tiff, tk (tcl/tk), tpic, xbm and xpm.

> If you look at the source code you will find there is support for reading
> gifs, but none for generating them.

fair enough. jpeg it is then (I can't rely on the audience's browsers
being capable of reading png files just yet).

I suppose I could find something else that can do jpeg -> gif
conversion, but there doesn't seem to be much point converting from a
lossy format to a non lossy format just for the sake of it!

thanks for the reply.

--
Graham