RE: Windows NT over Windows 95

The problems lie more with than with Linux.  Your current setup should
work if you just install NT over 95.  One problem with that is that NT
will not work off FAT 32 partitions.  If you want long file names wih NT
you have to install NTFS.  The problem with NTFS is that there is only
read only support for it for Linux. I would make a backup up your current
system, just in case.  For additional information I work look at the Linux
and NT loader howto at
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html .

On 04-Mar-99 Matt Garman wrote:

> I have Windows 95 installed with Linux, four partitions, everything is
> fine.  I'd prefer to be 100% Linux, but something just came up where
> I'll have to use Windows a bit.
>
> I've got a copy of Windows NT that came with my computer, and I've had
> NT plus Linux running happily together under a scheme similar to my
> current win95+linux.
>
> My question is: I'd like to install NT over 95, and leave everything
> else as is.  I don't see any immediate, difficult problems in doing
> this, but I'm just hoping someone might point out potential disasters
> that I'm overlooking.
>
> I currently have Lilo installed on /dev/sda (i.e. master boot
> record).  Windows 95 is installed on /dev/sda1 (one gig), my Linux
> swap is /dev/sda2 (about 50 megs), my linux system is /dev/sda3 (about
> a gig), and /dev/sda4 is four gigs of EXT2-fs for storage.  If I
> remember correctly, I have two options for the boot deal with
> NT+Linux: I can do the "dd" thing on my linux boot sector, and copy
> that into the NT boot loader.  If I remember correctly, is it also
> possible to make /dev/sda3 my _bootable_ partition, install lilo on
> that (/dev/sda3), and have lilo point to /dev/sda1 for NT and
> /dev/sda3 for Linux, verdad?
>
> Thanks!
> MG
>
> --
> Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
> "They're always havin' a good time down on the bayou,
>  Lord, them delta women think the world of me."
>       -- Dickey Betts, "Ramblin' Man"

---
E-Mail: Mark Ciciretti <mciciretti@dzn.com>
Date: 03-Mar-99