Re: Big HD problems - How stuffed am I?

> I've also been having problems with a Quantum... this one is detected
> as Quantum BIGFOOT_CY4320A.  It was first installed as a Win95 drive.
> Wasn't long before Windows started detecting errors at the beginning
> of the drive, and it finally became unusable.  I'm using it for linux
> now.  When I partitioned it, I created a junk partition of 100M at the
> beginning (where the errors were occuring), then created a 500M root
> partition after that.  Then I deleted the first partition and created
> the remaining ones after the root.  This left 100M unused.  I still
> get error messages, occasionally, but it doesn't seem to be getting
> any worse.

I have had a quantum go down recently. After my experiences I recommend
ditching the drive as soon as these problems appear. Things will only get
worse.

The local supplier mentioned that this appears to be a batch quality issue.
Some batch shipments from quantum have a 100% failure rate over 12 months,
whereas others are fine. Providing the drive is not too old you can put in a
warranty claim with quantum.

Yours in common grief ....