the debian install process...

I just read the Bob Young essay linked on slashdot.  It made me think.
How come no debian folks have attempted to take RH's GPLed install app and
make it work in debian.  Or does debian have other plans to develop an
equally good install app?

If debian had an install app that autodetected hardware in the manner that
RH's does, our distro would not have a perceivable flaw when held against
RH.  Then again, RH's install could be our install since they already
autodetect tons of hardware... Just some thoughts...

NatePuri
Certified Law Student
& Debian GNU/Linux Monk
McGeorge School of Law