Re: rescue disk doesn't rescue me

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Werner Reisberger wrote:

> I am using Debian 2.0r4 and trying to boot my brand new PC since 4 days
> with several rescue disks I prepared with dd on my good old Linux PC.
>
> I even tried to boot with a self prepared root.bin disk but a reader
> of this list told me that I don't need to do this with a fairly new dist
> (yes I have a 1.44 floppy drive).
>
> The following happens when I insert the rescue disk in my brand new PC
> pressing enter at the boot prompt:
>
> It recognizes the hardware (including the SCSI controller and the SCSI
> disk) but at the end it issues the following:
>
> Partition check:
>  sda:Dev 08:00 Sun disklabel: bad magic 0000
>  unknown partition table
>
>  # this line is probably caused because my HD is completely untouched

This is probably a bad advice :-), but anyway:

I would try to boot from a MS-DOS floppy and then try to fdisk
the disk from DOS first (only to have a consistent partition table).

> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem)
>                                         # until now it's looks good but the
> boot process hangs at this stage

This seems a bug in the Linux kernel.

As a workaround you could replace the "linux" file in the boot
floppy by a custom made one, by using the good old Linux PC.