Re: StarOffice 5

"Robert V. MacQuarrie" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Damir J. Naden wrote:
> >Hi Micha Feigin; unless Mutt is confused, you wrote:
> >> If its like staroffice 4,
> >> Then use the setup supplied with staroffice,
> >> and then install it with the net option as root
> >> (although it still takes quite some space for each user);
> >I've installed it simply following the setup provided by StarOffice (part of
> >the download), following the instructions in their README. It worked
> >flawlessly.
>
> I've installed each version of SO and have never had any problems using
> the provided 'setup' utility. I really only have 1 minor complaint with
> SO5 and thats the fact that it takes up so much disk spack in the users
> account. I remember one of the SO developers had hacked a multiuser patch
> for the in SO4 called AutoMultiUserSetupForSO40Linux.tar.gz I think. This
> patched the /net option if i remember correctly and worked beautifully.
> Here are the diffs in size of my SO5 and SO4 installs:
> [timberwolf:adren:~$]> du -hs /usr/local/Office40/
> 113M    Office40
> [timberwolf:adren:~$]> du -hs ~/StarOffice (this is 4.0)
> 12M     StarOffice
> [timberwolf:adren:~$]> du -hs ~/Office50
> 140M    Office50
> [timberwolf:adren:~$]>
>
> This is a HUGE difference. The multiuser patch was great! 12M for 4.0 to
> 140M with 5.0. Does anyone know if there was a multiuser patch for SO5
> aswell? I like having a 12M user dir as opposed to a 140M dir.
>
> --Rob
>
> --

Yeah i thought so too, so i read the docs ( back with SO 4 and i came across the /net
option)
And now with SO5

as root run  "setup /net" and select a dir ( ie /usr/local/SO )
then when install is finished

"LOGON AS THE USER " and goto to "/usr/local/SO/bin" dir  and run "setup" in that
dir, this will setup SO for in the users home dir using only "3.8MB " (on my system
anyway.)

Cheers