Re: StarOffice 5

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Damir J. Naden wrote:
>Hi Micha Feigin; unless Mutt is confused, you wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Frankie wrote:
>> > Is there a recommended way of installing SO5 under debian?
>> > there doesn't seem to be an install Package for it (like there is for
>> > SO3)?
>> If its like staroffice 4,
>> Then use the setup supplied with staroffice,
>> and then install it with the net option as root
>> (although it still takes quite some space for each user);
>I've installed it simply following the setup provided by StarOffice (part of
>the download), following the instructions in their README. It worked
>flawlessly.

I've installed each version of SO and have never had any problems using
the provided 'setup' utility. I really only have 1 minor complaint with
SO5 and thats the fact that it takes up so much disk spack in the users
account. I remember one of the SO developers had hacked a multiuser patch
for the in SO4 called AutoMultiUserSetupForSO40Linux.tar.gz I think. This
patched the /net option if i remember correctly and worked beautifully.
Here are the diffs in size of my SO5 and SO4 installs:
[timberwolf:adren:~$]> du -hs /usr/local/Office40/
113M    Office40
[timberwolf:adren:~$]> du -hs ~/StarOffice (this is 4.0)
12M     StarOffice
[timberwolf:adren:~$]> du -hs ~/Office50
140M    Office50
[timberwolf:adren:~$]>

This is a HUGE difference. The multiuser patch was great! 12M for 4.0 to
140M with 5.0. Does anyone know if there was a multiuser patch for SO5
aswell? I like having a 12M user dir as opposed to a 140M dir.

--Rob