[OT] DMA timeout problem]

I just recently bought an Asus P5A motherboard, and as it has UDMA support,
I thought I'd try enabling it using a patch which is available for the
2.2.2 kernel. Now I know that at least two other people have successfully
used this patch (doogie and aklein on #debian). The problem is that a) one
of my drives (hdb) performance drops to less than 2 or 3 meg/s, and if I try to
enable DMA using hdparm on hdb I get the following messages:

Mar  2 16:13:59 recursive kernel: hdb: timeout waiting for DMA
Mar  2 16:13:59 recursive kernel: hdb: irq timeout: status=0x58 {
DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
Mar  2 16:13:59 recursive kernel: hda: DMA disabled
Mar  2 16:13:59 recursive kernel: hdb: DMA disabled
Mar  2 16:13:59 recursive kernel: ide0: reset: success

I noticed that if I try to set the kernel to get PCI info from the BIOS the
system won't boot with an out of memory error. Also, could the fact that
two of my serial ports have the same IRQ (one is my int. modem and the
other is a normal serial port) have any bearing on the matter?

Any pointers as to what might be wrong or where I can look for more help
will be much appreciated.

Cheers
	Dave
--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.2.1
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request