Re: SOLVED: samba 2.0 troubles (mostly)

"Daniel J. Brosemer" wrote:
> I gave it one last stab after the small success with your /etc/hosts
> suggestion I figured there were more resolution problems, and so I bit the
> bullet and enabled the builtin WINS server in samba, pointed the win95 box
> at it, and all appears to work.  I don't like this because I think there
> should be a better way, but in the meantime, I'll use this as it appears
> to work.

Enabling WINS in Samba solved my problems as well. Win95 is broken -- It
will not reference lmhosts if DNS is enabled. Because of this all my
windoze clients were polling like crazy. Enabling WINS on the Samba
server eliminated all polling traffic and really sped things up. YMMV.
--
Ben Messinger bmessin@3-cities.com

There are no accidents, only plans other people make and don't tell you
about.