Re: problem sending mail...

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Jesse Evans wrote:

> Folks,
>
> 	Something chokes when I try to send mail, but only certain addresses.
>
> 	For example, I can send a message to myself via my ISP and it get's
> retrieved just fine using fetchmail. Likewise, I can send mail to a web-based
> addresse, i.e. netscape.net and it shows up there, so I know I'm able to get
> out of my ISP's domain.
>
> 	However, other addresses get bounced back almost immediately with the
> follow header:
>
> mail failed, returning to sender
> From: <MAILER-DAEMON@debian>
> To: jesse
>

> |------------------------- Failed addresses follow: ---------------------|
>  [To: address snipped] ... transport smtp: 501 <jesse@debian>... Sender domain
> must exist |------------------------- Message text follows:
> ------------------------| Received: by debian

[rest of headers snipped, this is the good part]

You are connecting to the SMTP daemon on the remote machine which is
attempting to do a DNS lookup on your domain.  Seeing that it doesn't
exist, it just denies your attempt to send.  I gather you are on a dialup,
so my reccomendation would be to edit your conf files to send mail through
a "smarthost".  If you're running smail, you can do this easily by running
smailconfig which will prompt you through the whole process.

> 	(I've snipped out the address of the person I'm mailing to for the sake
> of maintaining their privacy). My own machine is named 'debian' and I'm 'jesse'
> on that machine. I connect to the Internet via Earthlink. I can mail this
> message ok, so what's up?

Their domain might have helped so that I could test my theory, but then I
probably would have been too lazy to do so, so it probably doesn't matter.
:)

HTH

-Dano