Re: Okay to remove obsolete required packages like "base"?

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 02:15:53PM +1030, Mark Phillips wrote:

> What is possible is to use the apt method in dselect to install new
> packages, but it would seem this is not safe, as I get the following:

[snip]

> WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
> This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>   base base base

The problem with this is that you are trying to remove an essential package,
it's _not_ an apt security problem.

> So, here's my problem: how do I install new packages safely, without
> specifying them one by one on the commandline?

I myself have used dselect with the apt method with no problems whatsoever
until now. Just put the packages that you don't want to upgrade/remove on
hold. It works  for me.

Pedro Guerreiro
--
Diplomacy: the art of letting someone have your own way.