/var filesystem structure

I am trying use a mounted filesystem as my /var.  To
accomplish this, after I mount the other filesystem, I type
"mv var /mnt/destination" (/mnt/destination is the
directory that is mounted to another machine) and it
says, "cannot move 'var' across filesystems: Not a
regular file"

I understand what it means, but shouldn't there be an
easy way to do this?  Am I going about it all wrong?
Do I have to (can I ?) set it up that way during the install?
Shouldn't I be able to have my /var be a mounted partition
on another machine?

Any help would be appreciated!

Ben Frame
frameb@wabash.edu