Re: Re-partitioning extended partition

Hi,

On Sat, 27 Feb, 1999 à 02:02:37PM -0600, Roy-Anders Larsen wrote:
> Is it possible to re-size the extended partition without losing the
> logical drives ?

Yes : run fdisk and note the *exact* location of each logical partition
(ie : starting and ending cylinders). Then delete all the logical
partitions and the extended partition, fiddle with hda3 and recreate the
logical ones on their previous location. The data will stay untouched !
Do this with rescue floppy, I wouldn't try to play with partitions while
tey're mounted.

> I am running Debian 2.0 (slink) on a 1.6 GB HDD with the partition table
> as follows:
> /dev/hda1 DOS    200MB
> /dev/hda2 /      150MB
> /dev/hda3 /tmp   150MB
> /dev/hda4 EXT
> /dev/hda5 swap    64MB
> /dev/hda6 /usr   400MB
> /dev/hda7 /var   300MB
> /dev/hda8 /home  200MB
> /dev/hda9 unused  87MB

[snip]
> This would make this partition table:
>
> /dev/hda1 DOS    200MB
> /dev/hda2 /      150MB
> /dev/hda3 /tmp   100MB
> /dev/hda4 EXT
> /dev/hda5 swap    50MB
> /dev/hda6 /usr   464MB
> /dev/hda7 /var   300MB
> /dev/hda8 /home  200MB
> /dev/hda9 unused  87MB
>
> The thing is, now the EXT partition is larger - it has been resized.  Will

Why not put either tmp or swap in hda9 this would give you a larger /usr.
And if you're not using the space in /tmp you could suppress it as your / fs
is rather large (see with df if it makes sense)

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\