Re: SMC EtherEZ PCI 10/100 (1211 TX)

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 02:59:33PM -0600, Mike Merten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an SMC EtherEZ 10/100 PCI network card and I'm having trouble
> getting it to work.  I've read the Ethernet-HOWTO and Hardware-HOWTO,
> both of which mention several SMC cards, but none that match this one.
> It's a brand new card with a single chip marked with:
>

>     SMC
>     EN5030A
>     89141T1     838k
>
> /proc/pci shows it as:
>
>     SMC 1211 TX (rev 16)
>
> lspci shows it as:
>
>     Accton (unknown device 1211) (rev 10)
>
> I've tried building all of the network drivers as modules (with
> 2.2.1 kernel), but none of them detect the card at boot.  I can't
> translate the chip markings to any of the chipsets listed in the
> Ethernet-HOWTO.  Can anybody help me with this card?  At this point,
> even 'That card is not supported' would help.

It may be bad form to reply to your own message, but...

Searching on DejaNews, I found the solution to my problem.  Seems that
the SMC EtherEZ 1211 TX uses a re(mis)labeled RealTek 8139 chip.
I compiled my 2.2.1 kernel with support for the rtl8139.o module.
When I did 'modprobe rtl8139' the module loaded and correctly
detected the card.  Everything seems to be working fine now.  I added
'alias eth0 rtl8139' to /etc/modutils/alias file and ran update-modules
(I remember seeing somewhere that I had to do this, but can't find the
reference now).

Hope this helps somebody else.
Mike

--