startup forced to X login

I completed installing slink and now X comes up automatically.  My first
login is always refused and the second one works.  If I try to Quit X I am
forced back to the X login.

When I bring up xterm and do a 'shutdown -h now' I see that my original CLI
login has been repaetedly failing to login on the 60 second login timer.

Before I try to fix this and mess myself up big time, I thought I had
better ask what is going on and how to fix it.  I searched the Debian
archives to no avail.

For now, I would prefer to simply get a CLI login and do startx when I want
it.  Once I get everything set I wouldn't mind automatically doing a startx
but I hav concerned about the underlying login fail every 60 seconds.

Thanks for the help.