SOLVED: Re: what is Xconsole and how can I get rid of it...

> Alan
>
> 	I'm not sure what you are refering to re: aversion to security,
> but in any case I seem not to have a xdm.options file. Perhaps you
> could be less accusatory and more helpful; after all, we're all here to
> enjoy the benefits of the global knowledgebase, rather than picking on
> others for their lack of expertise on a given topic.

Hey, chill out man. I was being a bit flippant at the time, sorry if you
took it so personally. The reason I called your distaste of xconsole an
aversion to security is because xconsole is a better way of having an
up-to-date listing of the last log entries than just occasionally looking
at syslog. See, if someone were to crack into your computer and alter the
log files, he wouldn't be able to change what xconsole displays on your
screen. Of course, he could just kill xconsole, but that's why more
paranoid types (not me) use a serial interface to a dumb terminal which
keeps logs of everything. Even better, some people print a hard copy of
every line.

The point remains, though, that if someone were doing something malicious
to your computer and you were in X, most likely you'd notice something
weird going on just by taking a look at xconsole. So you find it annoying -
I'm just defending its usefulness.

> 	Calling up the man page on xconsole does not give me any clues
> as to how to prevent a user from having it appear in their logon. I've
> read the man page; what else would you expect of me?

I told you how to stop it from running, and from what I see in one of your
later messages my solution worked. I suggested you man xconsole because you
specifically asked "What's this about?" which I assumed you meant by
"someone tell me what xconsole is, besides the fact that it shows log
entries."

I'm sorry that my response upset you, but try not to overreact next time.

Alan
surak@imsa.edu