Re: man missing ?

Quoting MallarJ@aol.com (MallarJ@aol.com):
> In a message dated 1/26/99 7:34:37 PM Central Standard Time,
> paul@experimental.braille.uwo.ca writes:
>
> I'm beginning to think I'm talking to a brick wall on this, but I do have a
> few more comments...

That's a bit unfair. I'm quite happy to cease this conversation so you
can talk to thin air instead.

[snipped comments on points I don't necessarily agree with]

> * I, and I am positive I'm not alone, would be willing to download an extra
> (optional) disk at install time so I could get a basic man set, with the full
> package being available as it is now - just so I wouldn't be completely in the
> dark once the install program completed.

I'm really trying to understand what you're saying, believe me.

> once the install program completed.

If, by this, you mean when dselect finishes the first time (Have fun!),
then, as far as I can see, you should have man-db and many manpages
available, viz.

ii  makedev         1.6-32         Creates special device files in /dev.
ii  man-db          2.3.10-65      Display the on-line manual.
ii  manpages        1.19-1         Man pages about using a Linux system.
ii  manpages-dev    1.19-1         Linux-development man pages.
ii  mawk            1.3.3-2        a pattern scanning and text proces...

and, of course, all the manpages dealing with the packages installed,
which are contained in the packages themselves.

If you mean earlier than this, I think I need clarification to understand
exactly how you mean to use them, or expect others to. It has always
seemed to me that the HOWTOs are more useful than the manpages at
this stage. Most of the things that one would normally do with a command
(for example, adduser for the first ordinary user) are wrapped up by
the installation script, until dselect exits.

> Frankly, I don't see why there is such strong resistance to discussing this.
> I understand it's policy to include only required packages on the boot disks;
> fine, however policies should be flexible or at least allow for consideration
> on modifications.  It would make things ALOT easier for us new folk to have
> something to reference early on - although I'm getting the feeling from
> in making Debian a bit more newbie friendly, and that's a shame.

I don't see any resistance to, or lack of, discussion. But what I hear
you saying is "Why isn't man in the base system? I want it to be.
If you don't want it to be, then you're inflexible and uninterested
in newbies."

What I would prefer to hear is "I felt I needed information about foo"
or I needed "man bar" when I was at such-and-such during installation.
Am I being fair?

If you really must have man pages as background before beginning to
install Debian at all (and I can understand that), well they are
available in many places and formats all across the internet. You
may have come across them if you've ever used gnu software that's
been ported to other platforms like DOS.

Cheers,