Re: Windows95 and Linux Installation

Jay wrote:

> Mike Archer wrote:
>
> >  When I get to the step Install Kernel and Modules, I can't find the
> >  original Win95 harddrive with the Linux files on it to continue. Do
> >  I need to make a DOS partition on the 814MB harddrive and copy the
> >  C:\Linux directory to that? or do I need to make the 814MB hard the
> >  master disk?
>
> * If that isn't the case, check for the 'mount partition' option in
>   the install program, and see if that will let you mount your C:
>   drive.

If the install program won't allow you to mount a dos partition,
you can mount it yourself.

First you must install the "vfat" module under the "filesystems"
section.

Then, exit to a shell (this is probably an option near the very bottom
of the list) and mount your Win95 disk manually:

  mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /dos

You might have to type "mkdir /dos" first.  Make sure you aren't
in the /dos directory when you try to mount it.  You should
then be able to see your win95 files if you do "ls /dos"

Then get back to the installation program (by pressing "ctrl-Z",
I think?  It should tell you when you shell out of the install
program).  You'll have to tell the install program that you
have the .debs in /dos/Linux.

HTH

Kirk